Monday, March 25, 2013

Long Run Sundays are back (and thank you RFRC!!)

And I am so glad that they are.  Yesterday just really reminded me why I love running so much and how much it has changed me.

Yesterday had the possiblity for being a tough day for me.  In the past it usually is.  I know I'm being vague but it's not something I'm ready to share publicly.  Maybe one day.  As it plays a lot into why I gained so much weight and hated myself so much. 

Anyway, so often I deal with my sad/bad/mad feelings by eating.  I still do it but have gotten better.  When I realized what yesterday was (because I had forgotten... crazy to think that could happen) I thought, well, I could use it as an excuse to not do anything, like the 8 mile run I had planned and maybe get something to snack on.  Because you know, it had the potential to upset me. 

I needed to do 8 miles yesterday because I have not been training well for this half marathon so I really NEEDED to get that run in.  didn't didnt want to do it.  It was not nice out, the wind was blowing, it was cold, it was cloudy, I was tired.  But I did not want to do it on the treadmill - because really, who wants to run 2 hours on the treadmill??  I sure don't!! 

Well, I complained on FB and thankfully my friends from RFRC gave me a virtual kick in the ass and I gave in and went out running. 

Yes it was cold, cloudy and windy.  But it was also so NICE out.  It was quiet and peaceful.  I felt great once I started.  I kept up with my intervals run/walk 3:00/1:30.  I also ended up running the last mile and made sure that it was my fastest mile!  I'm still extremely slow and I hate it.  But I enjoyed myself so much that I did not really care!  I kept a steady pace and felt so amazing when I finished.  As I almost always do after a long run.  I am amazed that I can do this.  That I run and I LIKE it.  That I can move myself for 2 hours voluntarily.  That my legs can just keep moving and don't get tired on me.  I feel so lucky that I discovered running almost 4 years ago.  I still do not know why I even thought I should try running that Memorial Day weekend up north, but I did it and fell instantly in love. 

I'm still feeling good today even though I did not sleep much last night. caffeine the caffine I took for my run kept me up.  But I love how much running can lift my mood and make me feel so good. 

And I love that I went running for 8 miles yesterday; on March 24th.  I did not feel sad and I felt I was dedicating my miles to what that day is to me.  I felt peaceful and happy.  And loved and that I love my life and I do not regret anything that has happened.  It has made me into the person I am today. 

And I kind of like that person :)

No comments:

Post a Comment