Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pride

So yesterday, as I was laying on my bed, feeling horrible I should mention, after my run, I started to think about pride.  And why its one of the 7 deadly sins.  Not that I really believe in that, but I see why its listed.  It can get you into trouble.

According to the training guide I'm following, I needed  to run/walk 12 miles yesterday.  The day started off badly.  I had maybe 5 hours of sleep the night before - I've been dealing with 2 sick dogs, so things have just been stressful around here.  Pixie was in pain Friday night, and I stayed up with her, so she could have the heating pad most of the night.  So, I was tired Saturday morning.  I don't know what I was thinking, and only ate about 400 calories for breakfast.  I then was trying to get my play list going, and was getting frustrated with that.  I left the house an hour later than I wanted.
I finally get going around 11 am.  My goal was to finish in the 2:30 range.  It was a good goal to have, considering the time I had for the 10 mile run 2 weeks prior.  Because my husband didn't want to go with me, I had to do my 6 mile route twice. 

The first 3 miles, I did pretty good, and when I turned around, I was feeling ok too.  My right hip started to feel tight, and just sore.  I've battled this in the past when I hurt it on the treadmill a year ago.  Once in a while it'll just be sore.  I think it was because of the night before, I slept on couch for a few hours in an awkward position.  My pace for the first 6 miles was 13:20, slower than I really wanted, but overall, not too bad.  I get home and refill on my drink, and Craig asked how I was doing.  I told him that my hip was killing me, and I was tired.  He told me to stop, and just leave it at 6 miles, but I couldn't do it.  Thats where the Pride came in.  I should have stopped, I knew it.  My hip hurt and I just didn't feel good.  But I had posted on FB that I was doing 12, had posted on the MCM FB group that I was doing 12.  So I just couldn't make myself stop.  And because I had to do the same out and back again, I had almost talked myself into stopping at the 8 mile point, or the 10 mile point, but when I got to both of those turn around points, I talked myself out of stopping.  I just remembered that horrible feeling of not being able to go 3 more miles at the marathon last year, to finish, I made myself keep going. 

So yeah, I'm on my way back, and start walking, and not running at all anymore.  I knew if I did that, I wouldn't run much anymore, but I was not feeling well at all.  My hip hurt, my legs were cramping up.  I should not have posted on C that I never get leg cramps, because yesterday they were BAD!!  I ran a little, maybe .75 mile on the way back, but mostly I was walking.  Barely.  I get almost home, and I feel like I'm going to black out.  Yeah, not good at all!!  Craig was on his way home from the trails, so he rode the little bit home with me. 

Anyway, so I guess I was due for a bad long run.  The last 2 that I had before this were pretty good - I kept up with my intervals, made good time, and just felt GOOD during them.  Yesterday - felt horrible.  I was cursing myself, god, and running.  I said the f word alot too, lol.  My time was 3:01:46.  I felt even worse when I saw the time.  I was in the 15 min/mile range. 

So yeah, I learned a valuable lesson, well lessons yesterday. 
1.  Get enough sleep the night before a long run.  And if for whatever reason I cant, then I need to reschedule it.
2.  Eat my normal pre run breakfast of over 500 calories.
3.  If I need to make a new play list, make it the night before. 
4.  Get out of the house on time, not an hour late.
5.  Make Craig come with me on long runs.  I can not do laps like that anymore - mentally it makes it easy to want to quit.  And I need to know I don't have to ration out my drink like I had to yesterday.
6.  If I'm feeling hurt, or sick or not well, JUST STOP!
7.  And don't let pride get the best of me, and listen to my body, not my pride.

:) so I'm pretty sore today, but I hope to either go for a short run later or maybe a bike ride.  Oh and I'm back into the 203 range, which is good.  Just a little more and I'll be under 200!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment